Research Engineer – Air Traffic Control Systems
Tern Systems is an established and trusted provider of Air Traffic Control solutions. We are headquartered in Reykjavík with a satellite office in Budapest. Our product suites have been attracting new customers, thus expanding our international presence. In recent years, we have grown to over 70 employees serving customers across Europe, Asia and Africa.
As a Research Engineer at Tern Systems, you work closely with cross-functional teams to identify and prioritize research and development activities. You also participate in academic and industrial research activities to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends in the field.
As an ideal candidate, you have a genuine interest in Air Traffic Control and preferably with experience in leading research, development and prototyping activities.
- Conduct research and feasibility studies to identify potential solutions for air traffic control systems
- Design, develop, and test proof-of-concept and prototype systems for air traffic control
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, university researchers, and industrial partners to identify and prioritize research and development activities
- Define and execute proof-of-concept experiments to validate proposed solutions, evaluate performance, and assess the feasibility of implementation
- Document research findings, experimental methodologies, and testing results
- Prepare and present technical reports and presentations to internal and external stakeholders
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and trends in air traffic control systems and assess their potential impact on the company’s product roadmap
- Engage in communication with academic and industrial research partners
- Oversee and report research project status to stakeholders
Preferred experience and educational background
- University degree in a relevant technical field
- 2-4 years of relevant professional experience
Skills and Qualifications
- Proficiency in programming languages such as C++, Python or Java
- Strong understanding of engineering principles and practical experience in implementing them
- Familiarity with basic software development methodologies and version control systems
- Experience in research, development and prototyping of air traffic control systems is a plus
- Experience working with cloud computing platforms and containerization for research purposes is a plus
- Experience in either academic, or industrial research settings is a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment
Who we are
Tern Systems is an established and trusted provider of Air Traffic Control solutions, with over 70 employees from 16 nationalities, and over 25 years of successful deliveries to customers in Europe, Asia, and Africa. We are a wholly-owned subsidiary of Isavia ANS, the Icelandic Air Navigation Service Provider, that manages air traffic in the Icelandic air traffic control area.
Our international environment fosters personal and professional growth. We believe in a healthy work-life balance, that includes a family-friendly work environment and time together with regular social events and activities.
What we offer
- An international, multicultural environment
- A culture that fosters personal and professional growth
- Regular social events and activities
- A family-friendly work environment
- Flexible work hours and home office support
- Home internet and mobile package
- An on-site canteen that offers lunch, snacks and drinks
- An annual sports grant
- Optional transportation grant
All applications shall be submitted in English.
To find out more about us, visit https://www.tern.systems/.
Applications are stored in accordance with the Icelandic Public Archives laws.
If you have any further enquiries please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sækja um starf
All applications shall be submitted in English through https://jobs.50skills.com/ternsystems/20244/